Wednesday, August 15, 2012

WIP Wednesday - getting ready for school!

Confession:  I have made absolutely no progress on any of the QALs.  Not even fabric selections.  I have been on the Flickr pages looking at how everyone else is doing so that counts, right?

But I have a good reason - we just got back from our summer visit/vacation and there are only two weeks left until school starts so the girls wanted to get right to it and gave me a list of everything they want to sew (with me) for school:

1.  They each want a messenger bag.  We finished the first one yesterday - this one has lots of pockets (including two zippered) and a custom flap drawn with fabric markers by my daughter.  We made up the pattern as we went along - when I make one with my other daughter, I'll take pictures of the process to post.



2.  Pencil cases - waiting for the zippers we ordered

3.  I can't tell you what the 3rd project is because I am using it for my stop on Kristy's Practically Paper Piecing Blog Hop .  My date is August 21st but I'll share a peek since we finished it a few minutes ago (yes, minutes - and I'm trying to get this post written before the baby wakes up from her nap!)


For this project, I had been on the lookout for foundation pieced letters but decided to try to make my own instead using paper and a pencil.  It really wasn't nearly as complicated as I would have imagined and it was great because I was able to make them the size I wanted.  I'll definitely be trying this again!


Their list also included lunch boxes, water bottle holders, journal covers, and new dresses!  Um, yeah - probably not going to happen!

And even though I haven't started on any of the QALs yet, they all look like a lot of fun and are being organized by super cool bloggers so you should check them out.  By the way, have I mentioned that I've never joined a QAL before so just decided to start by joining 4?!?  I think I'll be spacing these out throughout the next year - well, until another one of you decides to organize one!!!  

Vintage Holiday QAL at Fabric Mutt 
Totally Groovy QAL at Pile O' Fabric
How Far Will You Go QAL at The Elven Garden 
Sew Intertwined QAL at Sew Bittersweet Designs

I'm linking up to WIP Wednesday which is being hosted by Cindy from Live a Colorful Life today and to TGIFF which is being hosted by Nicole from Mama Love Quilts on Friday.




23 comments:

  1. How sweet that your girls want to sew with you. I hope my baby will do that with me when she grows up! Impressive drawn horse, btw:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the bag with the custom art. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking at other people's QALs totally counts. I do it all the time ;)

    And I *LOVE* that messenger bag with the art on it. It's precious and perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your daugher's design is so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool bag customising is so much fun!
    Hope you get all the things you want to done =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cool that your girls get to make their own bags and pencil cases!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the messenger bag - very cool having a customised bag for school!

    Can't wait to see your blog hop project!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is love that you used your daughter's artwork on the messenger bag!! And the paper pieced letters are really cool! Good luck with all the quilt alongs - you are going to be busy, but remember it is ok to go at your own pace!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm impressed with all you're doing for back to school stuff. My kids were never so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so AWESOME that you made a bag with her artwork on it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beth, you're amazing. I love what you're doing with your girls and hope to do the same when mine are older. Can't wait to see your paper piecing project -- the peeks are fantastic! And thanks for the qal mention!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your daughter's drawing!I have signed up to the Totally Groovy QAL and had to think hard about the colour scheme - how is it so difficult to make a decision, so 4 QALs!!! That is commitment and WAY too many decisions. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your daughter's quite an artist - love her artwork! And what a great idea having it on her messenger bag - it's lovely. Look forward to seeing the full reveal on your paper piecing project.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahh, those letters are looking so great! I'm really impressed! I haven't made any quilting progress this week - life has taken over lately and kept me away from my sewing machine. :P I can't wait to see your paper piecing project on the hop!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the hand-drawn horse. :) So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How cool is that to have your own unique school bag that you helped to create! Your girls must be thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks intriguing! Looking forward to your post on paper piecing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the back-to-school projects. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beth, you are the best mom ever to sew all these back to school things. The horse on the messenger bag is so cute! Your daughter gets to carry her artwork around with her. What a great idea!
    Kudos to you for making your own foundation pieced letters! Can't wait to see more of this project!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't believe how many qals your doing! Love all your back to school makes!

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE all your projects! I completely understand the QAL thing. I'd like to tell you you start to do less...but I'm afraid not. I'm working on 4 myself right now with a 5th (Sew Intertwined) on my to do list...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!