Thursday, November 21, 2013

a simple doll blanket




If you look back at my early blogging days, you would see lots of doll quilts.  I used to make them all the time for my daughters, for gifts, for quick finishes in between larger projects, for trying out new techiques and designs . . . well, I guess I had lots of reasons for making them.  I don't make doll quilts very often these days but recently I had a reason to so I took out some of my favorite fabrics and put this together pretty quick.  


I wasn't even thinking about writing a tutorial so I didn't take any photos of my process but it was so simple, I just wanted to quickly tell you what I did.  Basically, you just need one fat quarter of flannel, one fat quarter of backing fabric, and some scrap fabric.  I used QAYG (quilt as you go) to make a log cabin block the size of the flannel.  I then put that right sides together with the backing - stitched around the perimeter leaving a small opening for turning and then topstitched the perimeter (I actually only top stitched the top which is where I left the opening but if I was to make another one I would probably top stitch around the whole perimeter because I think it would look nicer on the back.)

And then my little helper and I went into her sister's room to take some photos!








18 comments:

  1. Love all the pink! Those toes are cute enough to nibble on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a satisfyingly quick project Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable. I love that heart fabric and your last photo, it is so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those photos are so cute! As is the doll quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It turned out super cute! I need to make some for my girls this Christmas for their new dolls they will be getting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so sweet! love the little toes poking out of the last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another good reason to make doll quilts: use up orphan blocks. I just finished a dozen for a December guild project. But they don't do much to empty the scrap boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super pretty! I love your doll quilts, they are so inspiring and a great idea for trying out new techniques, you're right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. such a cute little quilt, and a great use for scraps!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! My daughter is just starting to get into dolls and she has asked for quilts for them for xmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great reminder to do something simple and quick our four-year old would love as a Christmas gift. Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty quilt. I love the colors. And the model adorable! I love the photo with her little feet sticking out, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a really sweet quilt. Did you quilt the log cabin to the flannel or the backing? I guess I was wondering if the flannel was in the middle like batting or on the back. I want to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm responding here since your email didn't show up with your comment. Yes, I used the flannel in the middle like batting.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!