Monday, October 6, 2014

quilted applique pillow

quilted-applique-improv-pillow

When you make new pillow covers, do you just buy new inserts? Do you take off the old covers and store them for the seasons? Or do you do what I do and just put the new cover over the old one???

quilted-applique-improv-pillow

Eventually, I'd like to buy more inserts and have more pillows on my couch but my motivation for this pillow was to replace one I recently made that didn't fit in my living room the way I thought it would. I wanted something really simple and I wanted to only use fabrics from my stash so I pieced together the simple two color background and quilted it heavily with light pink aurifil and then added the half circle applique. 


I actually used these fun novelty prints for the back of the pillow. Since I was only using stash fabrics, I figured I might as well choose from my novelty fabrics since I don't use those as often as I used to. 

Just a side note - I used french seams to piece together the bottom panel which was quick, easy, and worked well and I'll definitely use that technique again when piecing pillow backs.

quilted-applique-improv-pillow

And another side note - the light was so great on my couch when I was taking these photos. I seriously should have taken pics of my kids instead!

13 comments:

  1. One of my aims is to fill my lounge with pillows too. But there are always so many other project distractions. This one looks lovely especially on your grey lounge. I like the idea of putting the new cover over the old one. I seem to store them and then forget about using it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is perfect for a living room that you don't want to be cutesy. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great addition to your couch! It's neutral and modern on the front, with a pretty little party on the back! And don't feel too badly about not taking pics of the kids. . .if they are anything like mine, they wouldn't have sat nearly as still and lovely in the light as the pillow did. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the contrast between front and back. And it certainly looks like it fits into the decor perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! I do all three options. I replace some, I buy new and I cover some :) I only started making cushions recently though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that it's all business at the front and party at the back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the understatedness of the front (not sure that's a word!) I like to stuff a new cushion into a newly made cover but often don't have any on hand and repurpose old one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pillow matches your sofa so well, and I love the pop of pink you used in the quilting to tie together the colors on the backing. French seams are pretty amazing, and I keep thinking about how to use them in projects now that I have used them a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just reuse the pillow form. I love this pillow. You are so great at making sophisticated looking projects!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the simplicity of the pillow. I love those little 1/2 circles :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pillow. I love the modern minimalist design that you created but still a little pop of color from the back. I usually re-use my pillow forms; switching around the pillow covers I want to display. But recently I made a pillow for using batting scraps as a filling and it worked out pretty well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!